Sunday, February 1, 2009

Quotes on Marijuana

"We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption."- John Adams

" I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wront?"- Willie Nelson

" Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural?"- Bill Hicks

"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."- Barack Obama

"Pot is not a drug"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"You bet I did and I enjoyed it." (On whether he has smoked marijuana)- Michael Bloomberg (New York City Mayor)

"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine. There's some pretty good homegrown dope. I'm sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses."- Stephen King

"I enjoy smoking cannabis and see no harm in it"- Jennifer Aniston "Forty million Americans smoked marijuana; the only ones who didn't like it were Judge Ginsberg, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton."- Jay Leno

"In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws. But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws."- Martin Luther King Jr.

"If people let government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."- Thomas Jefferson

"Users in our matched-pair sample smoked marijuana in addition to as many tobacco cigarettes as did their matched non-using pairs. Yet their small airways were, if anything, a bit healthier than their matches. We must tentatively conclude either that marijuana has no harmful effect on such passages or that it actually offers some slight protection against harmful effects of tobacco smoke"- Cannabis in Costa Rica: A Study of Chronic Marijuana Use; Institute of Human Issues

"Medicines often produce side effects. Sometimes they are physically unpleasant. Cannabis too has discomforting side effects, but these are not physical they are political"- The Economist March 28th 1992

''I say legalize drugs because I want to see less drug abuse, not more. And I say legalize drugs because I want to see the criminals put out of business.''- Edward Ellison, former Head of Scotland Yard's Antidrug Squad (Source: London's Daily Mail, March 10, 1998)

"It really puzzles me to see Marijuana connected with Narcotics - Dope and all that crap…it's a thousand times better than whiskey - it's an Assistant - a friend."- Louis Armstrong

"Ones's condition on marijuana is always existential. One can feel the importance of each moment and how it is changing one. One feels one's being, one becomes aware of the enormous apparatus of nothingness- the hum of a hi-fi set, the emptiness of a pointless interruption, one becomes aware of the war between each of us, how the nothingness in each of us seeks to attack the being of others, how our being in turn is attacked by the nothingness in others."- Norman Mailer

"Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation to the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to farm more people than marijuana ever could."- William F. Buckley Jr.

"Whenever the people are for gay marriage or medical marijuana or assisted suicide, suddenly the "will of the people" goes out the window."- Bill Maher

"Marijuana is the finest anti-nausea medication known to science, and our leaders have lied about this consistently. [Arresting people for] medical marijuana is the most hideous example of government interference in the private lives of individuals. It's an outrage within and outrage within an outrage."- Peter McWilliams

"I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. ...I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable."- Alexander Shulgin

"Marijuana is a useful catalyst for specific optical and aural aesthetic perceptions. I apprehended the structure of certain pieces of jazz and classical music in a new manner under the influence of marijuana, and these apprehensions have remained valid in years of normal consciousness."- Allen Ginsburg

"I think pot should be legal. I don't smoke it, but I like the smell of it."- Andy Warhol

"Several generations of high school students have grown up ignoring and disbelieving everything they've heard from government and police about drugs, including information that was factual and valid, because they discovered for themselves that most of what has been taught to them was simply not true."- Ann Shlugin

"When they took the 4th Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs. When they took the 5th Amendment, I was quiet because I wasn't a criminal. When they took the 2nd Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun. Now they've taken the 1st Amendment, and I can say nothing about it."- Anonymous

"Yes, [I use] grass and hash - no hard drugs. But the point is I do what I feel like doing."- Arnold Schwarzenegger "

All laws which can be violated without doing anyone any injury are laughed at. Nay, so far are they from doing anything to control the desires and passions of man that, on the contrary, they direct and incite men's thoughts toward these very objects; for we always strive toward what is forbidden and desire the things we are not allowed to have."- Baruch Spinoza

"Smoking's a way to let you down slowly from a ballgame. It also makes you use less of the resources around. It makes people better in the way they act towards society. Everybody's nicer. It's hard to be mean when you're stoned."- Bill Lee

"One of the problems that the marijuana-reform movement consistently faces is that everyone wants to talk about what marijuana does, but no one ever wants to look at what marijuana prohibition does. Marijuana never kicks down your door in the middle of the night. Marijuana never locks up sick and dying people, does not suppress medical research, does not peek in bedroom windows."- William F. Buckley Jr.

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth and protection of the country!"- Thomas Jefferson

"When I first got turned on to pot, it was almost legal in the sense that no one really knew what it was,... especially in Canada. I remember smoking it behind this jazz club with the guys that turned me on, and the police came and searched the car for booze. And we were all laughing hysterically. They wanted to know what kind of tobacco that was, and we told them it was Italian tobacco."- Tommy Chong

"True, the Founding Fathers had provided for a specific right to bear arms, but the only reason they'd nothing to say to about the right to plant seeds (was)... because it never would have occurred to them that any state might care to abridge that right. After all, they were writing on hemp paper."- Will Fulton

"The anti-marijuana campaign is a cancerous tissue of lies, undermining law enforcement, aggravating the drug problem, depriving the sick of needed help, and suckering well-intentioned conservatives and countless frightened parents."- William F. Buckley Jr.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."- Ronald Reagan

No comments: